Neck lanyards are the primary choice for use in securing USB flash drives. Because flash drives are often made in really tiny rectangular pieces of technology, it is often very easy to lose them. They can fall off of one’s bag or pocket without notice, left forgotten somewhere after handling, or slip into the tiny nooks and crannies of humongous laptop bags. And because USB flash drives are often used to store a lot of important data, such as school paperwork and business proposals and the like, losing it can would mean having to do a lot of work all over again.
But securing USB flash drives is not the only purpose for which neck lanyards were made. These can also be used for the following reasons:
- Holding ID cards or name badges so that these can easily be shown to security personnel or for swiping on security access boxes whenever necessary.
- Securing small phones and cameras for easier access especially during out-of-town trips where photos just have to be taken. Most cameras, especially the heavy DSLR types, already come with its own lanyard that is specifically designed to endure the camera’s weight.
- Securing keys and various other small objects that can easily get lost.
There are also some types of neck lanyards that are used for tying up water bottles that are taken on hikes up steep trails. But this depends on the kind of loop at the end of the lanyard reserved for tying up on things. A water bottle can only be hooked on if the tip is made of a strong steel clip that wouldn’t easily give out from the bottles weight.
Neck lanyards are popular among students because they often have cutesy eye-catching designs and logos. Some of the more popular logos include the names of favorite sports teams, the name of the school, or the name of favorite movie characters or the title of the movie itself.
Another way of making lanyards more interesting, especially if it is to be used on special events, is by printing the event’s message on it. This is especially common when the event involves motivational talks or has a religious theme.
Those who are interested in buying their own neck lanyards can easily go to any legitimate online store to make the purchase. Or they can also place an order directly at the manufacturer’s website especially if they would be placing bulk orders for lanyards with special designs. They can choose the type of imprinting method that they want for the lanyards and that would best fit their event’s theme and the allocated budget. Lanyard buyers can usually choose from any of the following options:
1. Embossing – usually used for printing on lanyards that are made of stainless steel, such as dog tags and the like.
2. Printing in full color – this usually works best when printed on retractable lanyards and badge reels that need a customized design.
3. Hot stamping – this is considered as the most low-cost method of imprinting lanyards, which means that the quality of the work is not as good as that of the other methods.
4. Laser engraving – this is also another method of imprinting on dog tags and other types of stainless steel lanyards.
Students who are not interested in bulk orders can also purchase individual lanyards from various online stores and on manufacturer’s websites. All they have to do is to choose from a wide variety of options and lanyard styles, as well as check on which one they can afford. Lanyards sell for somewhere around $4-8 apiece depending on the intricacy of the design or the intricacy of the weaves used for threading the big loop that wraps around the neck.